Thursday, July 09, 2009

Time After Time

Time flies when it wants to. It seems like only yesterday when I was picking apples out of the front yard for my mom to make pies and yet now I have daughters who are as old as I was when I did this. By contrast, I can remember watching the clock in third grade and praying for a loving, kind and merciful God to move it ahead a few hours so that my daily prison sentence would be over. It was as if the clock was stuck in molasses. We are neither the keepers of time, nor are we the makers of it.

Each second is amazingly unique. In each day there are over 86,000 of them and a year possesses over 30 million. My grandmother died earlier this year and in her life she experienced over 3 billion seconds. Every one of them had some input into defining what she was.

From the seconds when she was first introduced to my grandfather to the holding of one of her many great-grandchildren, time faithfully marched on. What made my grandmother most unique and wonderful, was her ability to ‘make time’ for her family. Without fail, every year, my grandma would call me to wish me a happy birthday. She would meticulously clip articles from the Columbus Dispatch about the new freshmen prospects for the Buckeyes and send them to me (usually with mint-chocolate-ship cookies).

She would send me letters expressing how much she loved me and missed me… How proud of the man that I was becoming. In my life I have been blessed to meet many people of prominence and influence and none could compare with my grandma: she was one of the greatest people I have ever known. Until marriage, no one made me feel better than my grandma.

My grandma knew a lot about me, but she never witnessed me at my worst. She never got to see the ugly, unsavory side of her eldest grandson. She loved me and she was on my side, and even seeing these things, I am certain she still would have loved me, but her belief in me would have been shaken.

There is someone who knows every second of every life on this planet. He knows what we have done and what we haven’t. He leaped for joy in our triumphs and he mourned with the passing of our loved ones. He marveled with us at spectacular sunsets and riding impossible roller coasters. He wept as we walked away from righteous paths and rejected the truths shared to us.

Even knowing all of this HE STILL LOVES US! He yearns for fellowship with us and can’t wait to pick us up. The maker of time can’t wait for us to ‘make time’ to be with Him: He wants to be with us! He wants the best for us. He clears his schedule to make time for us. He is not bound by time, yet he constrains himself to ‘fit’ into that faithfully marching target.

God comes to us and opens the secrets of the universe: it is literally ours for the asking. He wants us to be with Him and He yearns to share His heart with us.

Got a second? Sit down and share some time with God! You won’t regret it!

God Bless
Doug

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger pearlie said...

And I miss my grandma. She'd sit at her bed every night and pray for us.

Sun Jul 12, 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Milly said...

You have such a way of showing us the man you are and those who love you. Thank You. I miss my grandmothers. But I too love the time that I was blessed with.

I feel at times like I forget to just BE with HIM thank you for reminding me.

Mon Jul 13, 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger DougALug said...

Hey ladies! It is great hearing from you! I'v been on vacation. I just got email access at this hotel, so I haven't had a chance to reply.

Thanks for the kind words. Grandmas are pretty great... I sure miss mine.

God Bless
Doug

Wed Jul 15, 10:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home