Monday, September 18, 2006

Enter The Dorkman: Book Review



It is finally out, and I couldn’t resist getting my own copy of Dorkman. Before I go any further, I must say up front that I am not the audience for this book: it was clearly intended for teenagers. The book was written by the fine folks who run The Realm of Possibility blog (Rich Pearce And Ken Story). Their site counted down the days until it was published and so did I. The premise of the story made me cringe some, because I worried that it may hit a little too close to home, but in the end, I am really glad I put my hesitations aside.

Junior High/Middle School was a challenging for most of us, and this book deals with issues that all children are affected by. The social ladder is tough in elementary school, but come middle school, where genders begin to mix and external influences seem to weigh heavier than parental ones, we witness some of the meaner moments in our brief existence here on the planet. Dorkman is a narrative that circles around this social class dynamic.

Cole, the narrator and hero of the book, faces a challenge that will literally shake his world. The setup is simple, but the ramifications of the actions taken in the book make for a great read. Cole has acquired an unwanted friend named Gordon ‘Dorkman’ Dorfmueller. Everywhere he turns, Gordon is there following him like a lost puppy. Gordon is the social pariah, while Cole is rising through the ranks of popularity. A kid like ‘Dorkman’ would trounce his position, and Cole didn’t want that.

Adding to the pickle, Cole was pursuing the love of his life, Ashley Knudson, a golden-locked beauty that was probably one of the most dreamed about girls in his school: she was in his grips, if he played his cards right. Dorkman could ruin everything and Cole’s entire world was turning upside down on him. Cole’s situation was addressed by his friends who had the ‘solutions’ that would solve Cole’s ‘problem’. Cole is now torn between what he wants, and what is right.

The book is very well written, I literally couldn’t put it down, though at times I really wanted to. The subject matter really touched some nerves with me and made me realize how much I've grown in the last twenty plus years. Like many people, I was both like Cole, and Dorkman, so identifying was easy, though painful at times. The language, and some of the situations in the book might raise a few parent’s eyebrows, but it is worth tolerating a few explicative phrases to embrace the message as a whole.

I love how Pearce and Story have balanced the battle between theory and practice. Woven into this story is the idea that right and wrong have clear delineation, and sometimes we must pay a price for what we believe. You follow Cole, treading through these matters of the heart, and really relate with the dilemma that he is in, while at the same time wanting to shout in his ear ‘NO! Don’t do it!’ I laughed at times and hung my head in shame remembering events in my life where I had failed, like Cole. All the time, a strong Christian message quietly pulses through the storyline.

If you have young teenagers, I would highly recommend reading Dorkman, then giving the book to your child. The conversations from the book will be well worth the time. The gospel is subtly infused into the pages, while some parents may object to some of the book’s content: this is why I would recommend reading it first before giving it to your child. Still, the story is heartfelt, and the character development is also excellent, and I must say that it was 4 or so hours well spent. Dorkman puts some tangibility to matters where not acting upon what is right is wrong too. I also believe it will make for some meaningful conversations between you and your children.

If you want to read more about Dorkman or how to order your own copies, go to Dorkmancometh. Dorkman will soon be available through Amazon, just click over to the sight above to get ordering information.

God Bless
Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home