Wednesday, April 12, 2006

You Are Now Entering The Jungle


As a kid, my mom would often take me on a great adventure. Would there be lions, tigers, or bears? Oh yes, quite possibly: even a wild elephant, or a T-rex. Was there danger? That too: my very life could very well be in peril! What about enemies? Yes: ‘Charlie’, 'Jerry', or the 'Ruskies' might show up, other times it was Ninja’s, Martian’s, or even Slestack’s.

'Where did all of this occur?', you may ask. It occured on our trips shopping. You then might say shopping wasn't like this for you. For me, every trip was a fantastic journey into my little noggin. Be it Sears, Lazurus, K-Mart, or any other forsaken store that my mom would knowingly drag my sister and me into, she would go with a plan of purchasing clothes or other items for our family, or friends of the family: my agenda was to dream about all I could be.

We would arrive and my eyes would go wide. “Stay here! Don’t go too far away!” She would say in that authoritative voice which meant she was very serious, but with a smile that said I am saying this because I love you. I would blindly nod my head because I was already far away in my own gigantic world.

I still recount the smell of all of that leather, polyester, rayon, and cotton. In the large metal racks that were like rows of trees in the thick jungle, my mind would wonder. I would get inside one of these imagination stations and pretend I was hunting or being hunted. Sometimes, in the secret places inside these magical racks, there would be my spaceship and I was traveling to a distant planet.

I would be stirred by an occasional “Are you nearby Douglas?” My name went from 'Dougie' to 'Douglas' as a function of how much authority that my mom needed at the time. Reality was back in my midst. “Yes mom!” with a heavy sigh (here comes the other shoe). “Get out of the racks honey! Those are not toys.” Says who? I sure loved them. By whose definition of ‘toy’ was she referring?

In a voice of defeat I would say, “Okay!” Slowly I would crawl out of my spaceship: my best plans foiled by reason. But there was still the jungle to deal with. Making my way through the densest parts on my safari, I would move about from rack to rack. Hunting some nemesis of my small African village.

Reality would interrupt again, but this time it was me: “Where am I?” It was an odd question, indeed! I was in a jungle hunting an enemy with a nefarious face I had not yet seen. No wait! I am in the clothes section of a department store! The better question was not “Where am I?”, but rather, “Where was my mom?” Panic would settle into my bones and a timid “Mom?!” would come out of my otherwise rather boisterous mouth.

The cry would get louder “MOM?!”, I couldn’t see her, and I couldn’t see over the racks of clothes. Every turn I would make, I would run into another rack, impeding my path of movement as well as my line of sight. Maybe she left, I would think. Maybe she was angry and didn’t want to answer my cries of help. Maybe this was her plan all along: to leave me and live the better life that she earned by putting up with me for all of these years. I could feel my heart pounding harder and harder. Many times I felt like just sitting and pouting, but I had to keep moving. I am, after all, a survivor of the jungle.

I once heard or read somewhere that to survive a charging lion you don't need to run the fastest, you just need to not be the slowest! This day, I determined to myself, the lions will not be feasting on me (oh what about reality? where had it gone?). Lesser children would sit and cry, but I would keep in motion to maximize the chances of some adult noticing a kid whose attention span was completely lost.

“Honey?! Where are you?” It was the calmest, greatest voice that this child could ever hear: my focus returns.

“I am over hear Mommy!” With all my fear of being abandoned, and all of my wistful playing, I had wondered a whole two rows from where she was. You see, my mother always kept track of my sister and me. I couldn’t see beyond the racks that impeded my vision, but my mom could. She was looking out for me all along.

With a bag of purchased items, she would swoop down and hug me like it was years since we parted ways: home was in her arms.

How far is this from my relationship with God? Unlike me, He can see the proverbial forest from the trees, yet I don’t always look to Him for direction or as my true compass. I am prone to wonder. He too directs me not to go to far from Him, yet I scurry about, fighting my own dragons that curiously look like windmills.

Life distracts me, and I can’t always see Him. How many times has the panic of being lost, forgotten, overlooked, or abandoned crept into my life? But in those times when I find Him again, He is there waiting with a hug and a welcome like none other. Through my free will, God has allowed me and I am permitted to roam around, yet His eye has never left nor has He forsaken me.

Thank You, Lord! And Thank you, Mom!

-Doug

9 Comments:

Blogger Milly said...

That was a great story. I remembered Sears with the caramel popcorn smell that welcomed you as you opened the door. I was as good as it smelled. We always got cinnamon toast when Santa came

Wed Apr 12, 03:28:00 PM  
Blogger DougALug said...

Milly,

Ah yes, I rememember that smell too. Especially coming out of the snow into the toasty store. It was awesome.

I grew up in Columbus, Ohio, and the Downtown Lazurus is where we'd go to see Santa.

-doug

Wed Apr 12, 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger Milly said...

Funny thing, I found a picture earlier this week of my sister, my cousin, and me with Santa at Sears when we were kids. It was in my Bible. It’s sitting on my desk. I can almost smell that yummy treat.

We keep saying that we should have another picture taken now this time adding my daughter. (only one married with children)

Wed Apr 12, 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger DougALug said...

Milly,

You should get that picture. It would be very special.

-Doug

Thu Apr 13, 08:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got a gift for prose. It's a good story. Thanks!

Fri Apr 14, 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger pearlie said...

A good post - I love it, a great analogy too! And I agree, you have a gift of writing ;)

And I must tell you that I lost my son not too long ago - just a month or two in fact, and yes -while shopping. I remained calm telling myself he is already 8 and should know what to do. I stayed around where we were before we lost each other and after about 10 minutes (or at least I think!) we found each other. I asked him where he was and he told me he was waiting for me at the cashier!

So like you, I know that I will find God firm and never-changing; for as long as He wills, he will be there for us. Just don't get lost too often, or rather not at all!

Fri Apr 14, 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger DougALug said...

Wow!

Thank you all for the kind words.

Meaghan: when you said 'you lost your son', my heart dropped for a moment, until I read the rest of the post. I am glad you found him again :]


Have a blessed and Happy Easter
-Doug

Fri Apr 14, 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger pearlie said...

I tried my best not to panic actually. It has never happened before but we were on familiar grounds, so I was not too worried. My mom would have given me an earful if she knew :)

Maeghan

Thu Apr 20, 09:53:00 AM  
Blogger DougALug said...

Mom's are good at that too. 8]

-Doug

Thu Apr 20, 01:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home